After a long winter of disuse, an air conditioner may not run as efficiently as it did for you last summer. Internal parts may have gotten dirty from the elements, other mechanics need additional lubrication, while others simply corrode from normal wear and tear. Every year your air conditioner loses efficiency, but you can slow the loss by having it regularly inspected and maintained by a licensed professional.
BENEFITS OF AIR CONDITIONER MAINTENANCE
With an annual inspection, you can protect the longevity of your air conditioner and delay eventual replacement need. While there is no way to completely prevent eventual air conditioner breakdown, failure, or repair necessities, regular maintenance can reduce the risk of these premature or frequent occurrences.
Not only can you help protect your air conditioner against sudden and unexpected failure, but you can also help it run as efficiently as possible for this summer season. As hot and humid as Akron gets in the summertime, you need your air conditioning system running in top shape to keep your home cool and comfortable. A decrease in efficiency can lead to increased time spent cooling your home to an adequate temperature, which also means a higher energy bill for you at the end of the month.
When a professional technician performs maintenance on an air conditioner, they will clean various parts, inspect for damage, and suggest any minor repairs they think will aid in the efficiency or longevity of your unit. After these steps, you may experience the benefits of:
- A more efficient air conditioner.
- Less time spent cooling your home.
- Money saved on monthly energy bills.
- A longer lasting air conditioner.
- Reduced risk of unexpected AC failure.
- Managing repair needs before they cause irreparable damage.
- Safer and cleaner operation of your air conditioner.
Preventative maintenance can help you avoid those uncomfortable days without air conditioning when a part fails or electrical wires wear out. A Jennings expert will thoroughly examine your unit so you can enjoy safe and reliable air conditioning this summer.
There are some pieces of air conditioning maintenance you don’t need a professional to help you with. Most tasks only take a few minutes but are vital for a healthy and functional air conditioning system.
- Replace the air filter every 1-3 months. A dirty air filter can significantly reduce the efficiency of your air conditioner. Depending on daily use of your cooling system and home environment, you will want to replace the air filter every 3 months at minimum, or more often if there are pets in the home or allergies are a concern.
- Clear surroundings of outdoor unit. Leaves, sticks, and other debris may accumulate around your outdoor unit throughout the year. Bushes may become overgrown and block airflow to the unit. Ensure there is always 2 feet of clearance around your unit for optimal performance.
- Check for leaks. If you notice a leak around your indoor unit, it may indicate a clogged condensate drain. Outside, a leak may indicate a loose or worn refrigerant line. Any type of leak should be immediately addressed by a professional.
- Keep vents open. Although you may not be using every room in your home and want to conserve energy, closing vents can cause too much strain on your air conditioner, which will wear it out and decrease its efficiency even faster.
- Call right away for repair needs. Perhaps your air conditioner is making a loud noise during operation, or it’s not producing enough cool air for your preferences. The sooner you call for a professional inspection, the better chance you have at preserving your unit and avoiding total replacement.
When a Jennings expert arrives at your home for air conditioner maintenance, they will thoroughly inspect your unit for signs of wear and tear, cleanliness, broken parts, and other concerns. After internal mechanics are cleaned, lubricated, and observed, they will test the overall operation of the air conditioner to ensure proper functioning.
During a professional maintenance call, a Jennings expert will perform the following:
- Inspect the motor, fan blades, electrical wires, etc.
- Lubricate moving parts.
- Check for leaks.
- Measure refrigerant levels.
- Test air flow throughout the unit.
- Replace air filter if needed.
- Calibrate the thermostat.
- Inspect ductwork if necessary.
- Test efficiency of air conditioner.
- Solve any repair needs present.
The trained eye and years of experience of our Jennings technicians makes these appointments quick and effective. Because there are many delicate components inside your air conditioner, a professional is the best person to handle these maintenance steps.
For complete air conditioner care and professional service, call the experts at Jennings today.